Breakfast Clubs of Canada: Help Them Shine!
Thursday, February 14, 2013 to Sunday, March 10, 2013
Breakfast Clubs of Canada believes every child deserves an equal chance to shine in life, and is committed to the cause of feeding our children’s future with a nutritious breakfast.
- 1-in-7 Canadian children are at risk of going to school on an empty stomach every day
- Every breakfast counts towards our children’s and our country’s future.
- Every child deserves an equal chance to shine at school and a nutritious breakfast makes that possible
- School breakfast programs help to level the playing field for disadvantaged children, giving them an equal chance to grow and flourish throughout life
- When children go to school hungry or poorly nourished, their energy levels, memory, problem-solving skills, creativity, concentration and behaviour are all negatively impacted. As a result of being hungry at school, these children may not reach their full developmental potential.
- Breakfast Clubs of Canada serves to more than 20 million breakfasts across the country feeding over 120, 000 children in nearly 1,215 schools.
When : From February 14 to March 10, 2013
Why : Approximately 120,000 children in nearly 1,215 schools across Canada will benefit from breakfast thanks to Walmart’s support.
How : By asking each customer to purchase a bookmark for $1 in every Walmart store. $1 bookmark = 1 breakfast.
In Canada, one in 7 children lives in poverty and risk starting their day with empty stomach. Breakfast programs aim to give each child an equal chance to grow and thrive normally.
For more information, please visit http://www.breakfastclubscanada.org/home.aspx.