Local News

UPDATE-Toronto's police chief gives update on mass shooting from the summer

11/8/2012

Toronto police have laid murder charges in a deadly mass summer shooting at a crowded east-end block party that shocked the city.
   
Eighteen-year-old Shaquan Mesquito was previously charged with threatening to cause serious bodily harm before the July 16 shootout on Danzig Street.
   
At a news conference this morning, police said they have now also charged him with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of 14-year-old Shyanne Charles of Toronto and 23-year-old Joshua Yasay of nearby Ajax.
   
Staff Insp. Greg McLane says Mesquito is also charged with attempted murder, reckless discharge of a firearm and 24 counts of aggravated assault.
   
He said Mesquito appeared in court Wednesday and was remanded into custody.
   
More than 20 others were also injured in what police have called the worst mass shooting in Toronto's history.
   
Another suspect in the incident, Nahom Tsegazab, 19, was charged earlier this year with reckless discharge of a firearm.
   
Investigators have since linked the rampage on Danzig Street to turf wars and power struggles within one of Toronto's most notorious street gangs, the Galloway Boys.
   
They say the group has been linked to at least five other shootings in the past year.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here.