OSSTF accuses school boards of dragging their heels on new contracts
Ontario's high school teachers' union says its members are upset that local school boards are dragging their feet on finalizing their new agreement with the province, but says the delay
won't impact students returning to class next month.
Paul Elliott, the new president of the Ontario Secondary Schools Teachers' Federation says only eight of the more than 40 school boards in the province have so far implemented the contract.
Elliot notes, ``That cloud is there right now. It would be nice for that cloud to be gone and then we could all move forward.''
He adds the union is puzzled as to why the deals aren't in place when the boards ``have an opportunity to ensure there is peace and stability in the schools.''
Education Minister Liz Sandals says she expects the boards will confirm by the end of this month that the deals will be in place by Sept. 30, adding $160 million in funding has been made available to
help them along.
Elliot says most of his union's 60,000 teachers will be returning to extracurricular activities, adding the union recommends they continue to do so even if their contracts aren't fully in place.
However, he states the union may target school board meetings with ``information picket'' rallies and send them letters and protest emails, urging them to speed up the process.