Banner honouring fallen Niagara soldier has been taken down
As you heard first on Newstalk 610 CKTB a lamp-post banner, honouring fallen Niagara solider Dennis Brown that was flying in St. Catharines, has now been taken down after another bout of controversy.
Brown was killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan back in 2009.
St. Catharines councillor, and friend of Brown, Matt Harris, pushed to get a banner up as part of the Downtown Association's lamp-post banner program but Brown's widow, Mishelle, was opposed to the idea. After some negotiation, she agreed to get it done and a motion was unanimously passed by council to make it happen.
It went up earlier this week, just outside of Montobello Park. However, Harris says the widow wasn't happy with it and contacted St. Catharines Mayor Brian McMullan to have it removed.
Mayor McMullan weighed in on CKTB and said something was, or is needed in writing from Mishelle to let the banner hang. Something that was never given to Councillor Harris.
Meantime, the former wife of Dennis Brown, Amy, called 610 CKTB and said lost in this potential legal mess is the fact that Dennis's three sons were brought to tears when they saw the banner on Thursday. And now she has to tell them its been taken down.
Amy Brown feels her three sons should have a right to speak or express their feeling during this whole process.
What Brown, McMullan and Harris all agree on - the goal was just to do the right thing and honour a fallen soldier.