Update on Death of Cory Monteith
The BC Coroners Service has determined ``Glee'' actor Cory Monteith's died accidentally of a mixed drug overdose that involved intravenous heroin and alcohol.
Monteith was found dead in his room at the luxury Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in downtown Vancouver on July 13.
The coroners' office says investigators found drug paraphernalia, including a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle, as well as two empty champagne bottles and glasses in the room.
Monteith had checked in several days earlier and was expected to check out on the day he died, but when he hadn't done so, hotel staff went to check on him and found him on the floor.
The coroners' office says the 31-year-old had a history of illicit drug use peppered with periods of rehabilitation and abstinence, something Monteith himself openly admitted.
It says when people who have refrained from using opioids such as heroin for a while, their tolerance for the drug decreases.